The Alchemy team is expanding and currently seeks a Director of Business Operations. This position offers an extraordinary residency opportunity as well as monetary compensation. The work is dynamic, the hours are flexible, and pursuit of your own art and career is encouraged. Joining the Team means becoming a member of a thriving arts community and working on-site at the peaceful, inspiring “Castle” in the Hollywood Hills.
The right person for this role is a highly competent, self-motivated, and organized team member who can design and execute complex, multi-phase tasks. You are looking for a unique, inspiring experience, are ready to make at least a six-month commitment.
About The Alchemy: The Alchemy is a Los Angeles based Arts Organization with a membership society, artist network, and The Alchemy Foundation, a nonprofit funding the core projects of The Alchemy. The Alchemy’s mission is to support and network artists, creative projects, and communities, providing a full spectrum of the tools, team and training necessary for artists to succeed in their respective fields. The Alchemy is dedicated to transformation through Art and Experience. Learn more at www.TheAlchemy.net.
Director of Business Operations
Sales representative and event manager
- Sales outreach, initial point of contact, negotiations, contracts, insurance, logistics, liaison with team members, manage and delegate roles and duties for pre and post production, budgets, media, promotions, receipt and allocation of monies
- Includes: Room Rentals for Artist-In-Residence, Sponsors, Renters; Events i.e. Concerts, Private Events, Theatrical Events, Themed Events, Alchemy Mission-Driven Events, AIR Events, Recurring Events i.e. Yoga & Music Jam; Film/Photography Location Rental
Communications / Administrative
- Point person and Liaison to communicate Alchemy and Castle information to Directors, Team Members, Artists and Clients
- Work with House Manager to manage, maintain and update House Handbook
- Create, maintain, oversee, and communicate all document/file organizational systems, including: paperwork, Financials, Media hard drives, Google Drive/Google Docs, Art/event archives
- Maintain, update, and oversee all shared calendars
- Assist Directors on other projects as-needed
- Manage all contracts/agreements for Events, Guests and Artists in Residence
- Maintain an organized and functional office
Financial – Bookkeeping, Bill Paying, Financial Reports
- Create budgets and track actuals for all events and projects
- Receive and distribute monies for events, donations, fees, petty cash etc.
- Create Monthly, Quarterly and P&L reports through QuickBooks and/or Docs
- Track all recurring payments for utilities, team member fees, Government fees etc.
- Track Donor and Sponsor payments and donations
BONUS: Media Management
- Maintain media archives of photography, video and documents on The Alchemy storage network
- Maintain Facebook and Social Media pages
- Update website with upcoming events and media from past events
- Coordinate graphic design and marketing efforts
- Publish monthly newsletters through MailChimp
- Update and maintain all mailing lists
- Strategize and manage press relations
- BA or equivalent degree
- 2 years experience working in an arts organization preferred
- 2 years office/administrative experience preferred
- 2 years experience in event planning and event producing preferred
- 2 years sales experience preferred
- Accounting/bookkeeping experience
- Proficient with MailChimp, Facebook, Google Drive and Google Docs, and simple website updates
- Computer and internet-savvy, with computer and office software (e.g. Microsoft)
- Basic graphic design/formatting skills (and software)
- You have your own transportation, and a basic knowledge of L.A.
- Proficient communicator, writer, editor, proofreader and the ability to demonstrate it
- Excellent planning, organizational, critical-thinking, and problem-solving skills
- You’re responsible, conscientious, and known for your follow-through
- You are self-motivated, and also enjoy working with a team
- Solid interpersonal skills, patient, friendly, punctual, and work well under pressure
- Desire to be part of an inspiring art community dedicated to co-creating transformative art experiences
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience
- Opportunity to reside at the Castle (Includes room/utilities/usage)
- Full time position/ Flexible schedule
- Become an active member of a creative community
For consideration please send resume, salary requirements and a short explanation describing what inspires you about being part of The Alchemy arts organization to: Team@thealchemy.net, Attention: Andy Stack and Lesa Hardy.